Translate

Sunday 30 November 2014

Weekly Sightings

I decided to do posts every Sunday where I record any new names I overhear over the past week. I will also try and mention their meanings and origins, if possible. So, here goes for the first week. 

Sailor
I heard this name on a little girl who was about five or six. She had blonde hair and was very sweet. Her name is originally a word name. 

Mayam
I heard this name on another little girl, though she was a bit older, perhaps of eight or nine years. Her name is a variant of Maya, and can mean "beloved of Amun" in Ancient Egyptian. 

Thevyan
She was another little girl of a similar age to Mayam (or possibly younger). Her name's meaning is generally unknown.

Rosalind
I heard this name on an adult possibly in her thirties or forties. Her name has a gorgeous meaning of "beautiful / pretty rose" and is of Spanish origins.

Rajbant 
I heard this name on an adult who was perhaps a similar age to Rosalind. She prefers to go by "Raj", and the meaning of her name is generally unknown, though Raj means "rule, king, emperor or royalty".

Alexia
I heard this name on an adult who was also a similar age to Raj and Rosalind. Her name is a feminisation of Alexis, meaning "defender" or "helper".

Lis
Another adult, who was also of a similar name to Alexia, Raj and Rosalind. I'm unaware if this was her full name, or a nickname for Elisabeth as it seems like a more European spelling of Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment