Translate

Monday 25 May 2015

List share #1: The wildest of my GPs!

Credit: ishareimage.com
Image has been cropped and resized

I thought I'd do a different post idea, and share some of my personal name lists. My name lists grow a lot, I'm always looking for new names to love. I think having large namelists is a great thing, because when you come to have children, you can look back at your lists if you're stuck during your naming journey. 

Today I'm going to post about the weirdest, and most wonderful names on my guilty pleasure (GP) list. Names become guilty pleasures for me if they have a negative personal or famous association, if they sound too unfamiliar in my mother tongue (British English), or if they are just simply too crazy to use in real life.

Florentine
I have Florentine on my GP list because I think it's a little too unusual for real life and it's also the name of a dialect spoken in Florence. Florentine is the French form of Florentina, which itself is the feminsation of Florentinus, which is an Ancient Roman name that has a meaning of "prosperous; flourishing" as being derived from Florentius. 

Libertine
I made up Libertine as a name, after visiting the Libertine Pub in London. Sound and appearance wise, I thought it was such a pretty word. However, the meaning is the total opposite (a "playboy") so it's staying firmly on the GP list. 

Holiday
I have Holiday on my GP list because I feel that it's still too connected to the word to be used in real life. The word means "holy day" and the name is of Modern English usage, though it is rare. Holiday featured in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's, on the character Holiday "Holly" Golightly, who was played by Audrey Hepburn. 

Madelina
I have Madelina on my GP list because it seems too unusual to use in real life, and it may lead to some teasing because of the "mad" beginning. Madelina is the Latinate form of the more common Madeleine, which itself is a variation of Magdalene. 

Marie des Neiges
I have Marie des Neiges on my GP list because it's too unfamiliar in my native language. Marie des Neiges is a French religious name, which has a beautiful meaning of "Mary of the snows". It's rare in its native France, where the similar Marie-Neige is more common. 

Zipporah
I have Zipporah on my GP list, simply because I think it's too unusual to use in real life. Zipporah is of Hebrew origins, where it's original transcript is Tzipporah. It has a meaning of "bird" and in Hebrew, it can be written as צִפּוֹרָה. 

Pomeline
I have Pomeline on my GP list, because I think it's too unusual in my native language, as well as being a little out there. Pomeline is the French form of Pomellina, a medieval Italian name whose meaning is unknown. A famous bearer of Pomeline is Charlotte Casiraghi, the granddaughter of Princess Grace of Monaco, whose full name is Charlotte Marie Pomeline. 

Ebenezer
I have Ebenezer on my GP list, because as cool sounding as it is, it's too connected for Scrooge to me and as a lover of Christmas, it would seem awkward of me to use it in real life. Ebenezer is a Biblical name, and has a meaning of "stone of help". The only time Ebenezer appeared on the US popularity charts was in 1884, where it had a ranking of #764.

Wenceslaus
I have Wenceslaus on my GP list, because, even though that it's a lovely carol, I feel that it's too associated with Good King Wenceslaus in my native language to use in real life. Wenceslaus is the Latin form of Veceslav, which has a meaning of "more; glory". 

Zadok
I have Zadok on my GP list, because I feel that it's too unusual to use in real life, and in my country it's heavily associated, as beautiful as the tune is, to the coronation anthem, Zadok the Priest. Zadok is of Ancient Hebrew origins and it has a meaning of "righteous". 

Erasmus
I have Erasmus on my GP list, because I feel that it's too pretentious for real life. Erasmus is derived from the Greek ερασμιος, which has a meaning of "beloved". Erasmus was the name of a fourth century Saint, who was also known as Saint Elmo, and the famous Renaissance painter.

Zephyrus
I have Zephyrus on my GP list, because I feel that it's too pretentious for real life. Zephyrus is the Latin form of Zephyros, which itself is related to Zephyr, which has a meaning of "west wind". 









No comments:

Post a Comment